7/8/10

Mark and Lindsey's Wedding, The Ocean Edge Resort and Golf Club, Brewster, MA



To say it was a hot day to be married this July 4th weekend would be an understatement... all in attendance waited for the ceremony to commence within the air-conditioned foyer of the estate's main mansion, sipping ice tea, lemonade, soda and water. In all, the pre-ceremony atmosphere was lighthearted and relaxed, all of us grateful for the estate's cool, comfortable shelter.

When all was ready to begin, all gathered gratefully beneath the shade of the majestic Linden tree that graces the expansive lawn of the Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster, MA. Lindsey was walked across the lawn by her father accompanied by the classical music of the harp, and they both spoke as they processed, father and daughter sharing a last minute conversation as she gracefully walked up the green lawn's aisle to the natural altar of the beautiful old Linden tree.

Bridesmaids stood and observed in light purple dresses their friends' custom written nuptials; Mark and Lindsey in their own special world, oblivious to the heat of the day. It was only when they were to exchange rings that the humidity impacted their vows; it took an extra few seconds for the wedding rings to fit onto Lindsey and Mark's fingers, but they laughed together in spite of this challenge. All was lovely in the shade of the Linden tree, our new best friend.

After exchanging rings and sharing their custom vows, I announced to Mark that he may "kiss the bride" and amongst smiles and cheers, I introduced them as "husband and wife" for the first time.

As I reflect on their wedding ceremony, the significance of the Linden tree comes to mind. The poet, Wilhelm Muller, who wrote the poem, "The Linden Tree" describes a wintry day, however, the theme of the peace exchanged from this tree to he in a sacred encounter, closely expresses the peace and love we felt emanating from the Linden tree of the Ocean Edge Resort during this lovely couple's special wedding ceremony:

At wellside, past the ramparts,

there stands a linden tree.

While sleeping in its shadow,

sweet dreams it sent to me.

And in its bark I chiseled

my messages of love:

My pleasures and my sorrows

were welcomed from above.

Today I had to pass it,

well in the depth of night -

and still, in all the darkness,

my eyes closed to its sight.

Its branches bent and rustled,

as if they called to me:

Come here, come here, companion,

your haven I shall be!

The icy winds were blowing,

straight in my face they ground.

The hat tore off my forehead.

I did not turn around.

Away I walked for hours

whence stands the linden tree,

and still I hear it whisp'ring:

You'll find your peace with me!

Congratulations Mark and Lindsey! May you experience love, peace and gentle cooling breezes for all of your days together as husband and wife!




No comments: